W.C. Brøggers hus (Geological museum) was closed to the public June 1st, 2015. The building will be renovated and reopened with brand new exhibitions in four to five years.
The finest items from the geological exhibitions can be seen in the exhibition "Stones and bones" in Colletts hus (Zoological museum).
The Geological Museum was built between 1911-1917 and was planned by W.C. Brøgger, former Professor of Geology and first Dean of the University of Oslo. Built of Norwegian Drammen granite, the building style is late art nouveau.
The Geological Museum’s collections contain research material of more than 2 million fossils, rock specimens and minerals. These collections derive from various expeditions, especially from the Arctic and Antarctic regions, donated by private collectors and from Norwegian industry. Descriptions of a selection of this material is available on the web.