Trond Simensen's research is focused on landscape ecology, physical geography, distribution modelling and the study of patterns of diversity in Earth's biotic and abiotic processes and features. Simensen is interested in drivers and effects of environmental change at the ecosystem and landscape level; distribution modelling of species and ecosystems; spatial planning; conservation strategies; nature management; remote sensing; geographical information systems (GIS).
Simensen is originally trained as a landscape architect and spatial planner (Cand. agric. University of Life Sciences in Norway 2001). He is currently working on a PhD-project in ecology at the University of Oslo. He also holds a position as a senior adviser at the Norwegian Environment Agency in Trondheim. He was a visiting scientist at the University of Wisconsin-Madison i 2019, where he worked with landscape ecology at the Turner lab. He has experience from nature management, conservation planning, landscape planning and environmental impact assessment related to large scale development projects.
- Simensen, Trond; Erikstad, Lars & Halvorsen, Rune (2021). Diversity and distribution of landscape types in Norway. Norsk Geografisk Tidsskrift. ISSN 0029-1951. s 1- 23 . doi: 10.1080/00291951.2021.1892177 Full text in Research Archive.
- Halvorsen, Rune; Skarpaas, Olav; Bryn, Anders; Bratli, Harald; Erikstad, Lars; Simensen, Trond & Lieungh, Eva (2020). Towards a systematics of ecodiversity: the Ecosyst framework. Global Ecology and Biogeography. ISSN 1466-822X. 29(11), s 1887- 1906 . doi: 10.1111/geb.13164 Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Simensen, Trond; Horvath, Peter; Vollering, Julien; Erikstad, Lars; Halvorsen, Rune & Bryn, Anders (2020). Composite landscape predictors improve distribution models of ecosystem types. Diversity and Distributions: A journal of biological invasions and biodiversity. ISSN 1366-9516. 26(8), s 928- 943 . doi: 10.1111/ddi.13060 Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Simensen, Trond; Halvorsen, Rune & Erikstad, Lars (2018). Methods for landscape characterisation and mapping: A systematic review. Land Use Policy. ISSN 0264-8377. 75, s 557- 569 . doi: 10.1016/j.landusepol.2018.04.022 Full text in Research Archive.
- Simensen, Trond (2021). Mapping and analysis of landscape diversity. Thesis for the degree for Philosophiae Doctor (PhD)..
- Halleraker, Jo Halvard; Simensen, Trond; Løbersli, Else Marie; Nybø, Signe & Alfredsen, Knut (2019). Bridging ecology-science with decision making - despite different understanding of the science policy interface. Show summary
- Simensen, Trond (2019). Nordlige barskoger kan bli et usikkert karbonlager.. Aftenposten Vitenskap. ISSN 2464-3033. s 18- 19
- Asmervik, Sigmund & Simensen, Trond (2005). The roots of ecourbanism.
- Simensen, Trond & Hofstad, Christian (2003). TDR 03. Show summary