Jade Jørgen Michael Sandstedt
Theoretical and historical phonology, Old Norse philology, corpus linguistics, linguistic phylogenetics.
Originally from western Minnesota, my interests in the language sciences began in studying variation and attrition of heritage Norwegian speakers in the Midwest. I have a BA in linguistics and Scandinavian languages from the University of Minnesota and an MPhil/MA in Norse philology jointly from the University of Iceland and University of Oslo. I undertook my PhD in linguistics at the University of Edinburgh where I was the first recipient of the McIntosh-Patterson PhD Studentship from the Angus McIntosh Centre for Historical Linguistics. My main research interests lie in the intersection between historical/theoretical phonology and traditional Old Norse philology; using insights from phonological theory and typology to study in detail geographic and chronological variation in Nordic philological material. Alongside my work on Nordic languages, I am particularly interested in harmony processes and the insights harmony systems can provide on matters of phonological representations and the division of labour in phonology more generally.
- Postdoctoral fellow at the Natural History Museum, University of Oslo (Norway)
- Associate professor of Nordic linguistics, Institute for Language and Culture, University of Tromsø – The Arctic University of Norway
- Associate professor of Nordic linguistics, Faculty of Education and Arts, Nord University
- Postdoctoral researcher in Nordic Linguistics, Department of Northern European Studies, Humboldt University of Berlin
- Teixidor-Toneu, Irene; Kool, Anneleen; Greenhill, Simon J.; Kjesrud, Karoline; Sandstedt, Jade; Manzanilla, Vincent & Jordan, Fiona M. (2021). Historical, archaeological and linguistic evidence test the phylogenetic inference of Viking-Age plant use. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Biological Sciences. ISSN 0962-8436. 376(1828) . doi: http://doi.org/10.1098/rstb.2020.0086
- Sandstedt, Jade (2020). A reanalysis of abstract contrasts and opacity in Bondu-so tongue root harmony. Glossa: a journal of general linguistics. ISSN 2397-1835. 5(1), s 1- 28 . doi: http://doi.org/10.5334/gjgl.1126
- Sandstedt, Jade (2020). Vowel harmony decay in Old Norwegian. Papers in Historical Phonology. ISSN 2399-6714. 5, s 11- 48 . doi: https://doi.org/10.2218/pihph.5.2020.4417
- Sandstedt, Jade (2017). Transparency and blocking in Old Norwegian height harmony. Transactions of the Philological Society. ISSN 0079-1636. 115(3), s 395- 417 . doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-968X.12113
- Sandstedt, Jade (2018). Feature specifications and contrast in vowel harmony: The orthography and phonology of Old Norwegian height harmony.