Ancuta Cristina Raclariu
Monitoring and authentication of herbal food supplements is complicated as products often contain highly processed and biologically degraded ingredients. The aim of my PhD project is to gather information, test, develop and apply innovative molecular identification methodologies to herbal products using real life case scenarios and also to investigate the drivers behind substitution and adulteration of herbal food supplements. The project uses high-throughput sequencing for metabarcoding of constituent species in complex herbal products, and bioinformatics pipelines to make semi-quantitative approximations of the contribution of each species in the mixture. This approach enables highly sensitive species detection in processed products, and will hopefully enable us to distinguish trace contamination from contamination at level that could pose a threat to consumers.
My research is funded by the Norway - Romania EEA Research Programme operated by MECS-ANCSI PO under the EEA Financial Mechanism 2009-2014, Project Contract No. 2SEE/2014.
MSc in Molecular Genetics (2012), “Alexandru Ioan Cuza” University of Iasi (Romania)
MSc in Environmental Management (2009), “Gheorghe Asachi” Technical University (Romania)
BSc in Biology/Ecology and Environmental Protection (2008), “Alexandru Ioan Cuza” University of Iasi (Romania)
Ph.D. student (2014 – present): Natural History Museum/University of Oslo (Norway)
Junior Scientific Researcher (2010 – present): National Institute of Research and Development for Biological Sciences (Romania)
- Gopalakrishnan Saroja, Seethapathy; Raclariu, Ancuta Cristina; Anmarkrud, Jarl Andreas; Wangensteen, Helle & de Boer, Hugo (2019). DNA Metabarcoding Authentication of Ayurvedic Herbal Products on the European Market Raises Concerns of Quality and Fidelity. Frontiers in Plant Science. ISSN 1664-462X. 10, s 1- 11 . doi: 10.3389/fpls.2019.00068
- Raclariu, Ancuta Cristina; Tebrencu, Carmen Elena; Ichim, Mihael Cristin; Ciuperca, Oana Teodora; Brysting, Anne Krag & de Boer, Hugo (2018). What's in the box? Authentication of Echinacea herbal products using DNA metabarcoding and HPTLC. Phytomedicine. ISSN 0944-7113. 44, s 32- 38 . doi: 10.1016/j.phymed.2018.03.058
- Raclariu, Ancuta Cristina; Heinrich, Michael; Ichim, Mihael Cristi & de Boer, Hugo (2017). Benefits and limitations of DNA barcoding and metabarcoding in herbal product authentication. Phytochemical Analysis. ISSN 0958-0344. 29(2), s 123- 128 . doi: 10.1002/pca.2732 Full text in Research Archive.
- de Boer, Hugo; Ghorbani, Abdolbaset; Manzanilla, Vincent; Raclariu, Ancuta Cristina; Kreziou, Anna; Ounjai, Sarawut; Osathanunkul, Maslin & Gravendeel, Barbara (2017). DNA metabarcoding of orchid-derived products reveals widespread illegal orchid trade. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Biological Sciences. ISSN 0962-8452. 284(1863) . doi: 10.1098/rspb.2017.1182 Full text in Research Archive.
- Raclariu, Ancuta Cristina; Mocan, Andrei; Popa, Madalina Oana; Vlase, Laurian; Ichim, Mihael Cristi; Crisan, Gianina; Brysting, Anne Krag & de Boer, Hugo (2017). Veronica officinalis product authentication using DNA metabarcoding and HPLC-MS reveals widespread adulteration with Veronica chamaedrys. Frontiers in Pharmacology. ISSN 1663-9812. 8, s 1- 13 . doi: 10.3389/fphar.2017.00378 Full text in Research Archive.
- Raclariu, Ancuta Cristina; Paltinean, Ramona; Vlase, Laurian; Labarre, Aurélie; Manzanilla, Vincent; Ichim, Mihael Cristin; Crisan, Gianina; Brysting, Anne Krag & de Boer, Hugo (2017). Comparative authentication of Hypericum perforatum herbal products using DNA metabarcoding, TLC and HPLC-MS. Scientific Reports. ISSN 2045-2322. 7(1) . doi: 10.1038/s41598-017-01389-w Full text in Research Archive.
- Raclariu, Ancuta Cristina; Ichim, Mihael Cristi & de Boer, Hugo (2015). Metabarcoding of European Complex Herbal Food Supplements. iBOL Barcode Bulletin. 6(2)