José Cerca de Oliveira
I am an evolutionary biologist working under Torsten Hugo Struck.I am fascinated by the enormous potential of modern genomic and bioinformatic approaches. I am interested in processes such as speciation, adaptive radiation and morphological stasis.
In my thesis I am studying the cryptic species complex of the interstitial polychaete Stygocapitella subterranea. We aim to:
- Establish the biogeographic profile and evolutionary history of the species complex
- Understand how these species have reponded to past climatic changes
- Understand the absence of morphological variance between the species
- Understand the genomic basis of progenesis.
For more information, please see my personal website.
- Struck, Torsten H; Feder, Jeffrey L.; Bendiksby, Mika; Birkeland, Siri; Cerca De Oliveira, Josè; Gusarov, Vladimir; Kistenich, Sonja; Larsson, Karl-Henrik; Liow, Lee Hsiang; Nowak, Michael; Stedje, Brita; Bachmann, Lutz & Dimitrov, Dimitar (2017). Finding Evolutionary Processes Hidden in Cryptic Species. Trends in Ecology & Evolution. ISSN 0169-5347. . doi: 10.1016/j.tree.2017.11.007 Show summary